Radio & TV TalkRadio & TV Talk

Access Atlanta > Entertainment > Radio Talk > Archives > 2009 > February > 11 > Entry

2/12: “Hot Topics” Kimberley Kennedy writes a book about being “Left at the Altar”

image_8456062.jpg

Kimberley Kennedy was the center of the Peach Buzz universe for a time in 1997 when Cumulus Radio CEO Lew Dickey dumped her during the rehearsal dinner the day before the wedding.

Dickey has never publicly talked about the breakup. Kennedy did so with the AJC, “Good Morning America” and the like. Now, 12 years later, she has written a book dubbed “Left in the Altar,” which includes her thoughts about the day she was broken up, why she thought it happened and how she got through it. There are also passages on how she coped and how others who have been rejected can cope.

My colleague Richard Eldredge had lunch with her last week and wrote a story about it.

I’ve read a good portion of the book myself. She is quite open about her own issues and how she missed all the signs that maybe Dickey wasn’t really ready to marry her after all (e.g. changing the wedding dates, having a hard time leaving the car to get the marriage license, et. al). She also brings a lot of her religious faith into play and the internal battles she had with God over her own emotions and actions.

A small excerpt:

Lew was late, but then he was always late, so I wasn’t really concerned until a few moments later when his sister came in. In stark contrast to the happy people who had already arrived, she was pale and obviously shaken. She came up to me and said that Lew needed to see me.. and in that moment I knew. Lew, the priest, and I went into her office. Before Lew said a word, I begged him not to do it, not to say it.

He was clearly distraught, and when he was finally able to speak, he looked directly at me and simply said, “Kimberley, I can’t do it.”

The biggest revelation, known only to a few people, is she actually reconciled with Dickey a few months after the wedding debacle. But it ultimately didn’t work. Years later, she did run into him a restaurant and felt okay about the encounter. She wasn’t devastated. She had moved on.

It’s a good read. The book comes out Tuesday. You can get order it at Amazon.

Kennedy at the time of her marriage was an evening host for WSB-TV. For several years, she has hosted the late-night entertainment news show “Hot Topics.”

Permalink | Comments (16) | Post your comment |

Comments

By Dickey Do

February 12, 2009 7:00 AM | Link to this

The Dickey’s are scumbags and they run their company like slum landlords.

By Quagmire

February 12, 2009 10:38 AM | Link to this

You know, being that Valentines Day is around the corner, I would love to give Kimberly a pearl necklace……GIGGETTY

By quagmire jr.

February 12, 2009 11:34 AM | Link to this

alrighht!

By AJC Reader

February 12, 2009 2:36 PM | Link to this

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

By Butters

February 12, 2009 2:43 PM | Link to this

Oh hamburgers!

By Karl

February 12, 2009 2:49 PM | Link to this

I like dem french fried potaters….

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

By Al

February 12, 2009 3:21 PM | Link to this

This happened 12 years ago. Who really cares? She’s not the first person this has happened to, and no reason to write a book about. Is Lifetime going to make a movie out of this?

By SheCal

February 12, 2009 11:14 PM | Link to this

I have seen Kimberley in Buckhead. Creepy old beat up mercedes, heavy Joan Crawford makeup, age inappropriate clothes,single at 49, and a goofy show that looks like 1988. I would say ole lew came out of this “da winner and still champeen.”

By Someone Who Knows

February 13, 2009 9:45 AM | Link to this

She’s also a hard-core right-wing nutjob of the dittohead variety. She masks it pretty well on TV, but I wouldn’t go near her.

By Wow, you're really an open minded person

February 13, 2009 4:22 PM | Link to this

So, if someone has a much different point of view then you on politics, you won’t even go near them. Wow, what an incredibly enlightened approach to life. I won’t ever understand how people can be so myopic.

By Bob - Marietta

February 13, 2009 9:40 PM | Link to this

I can’t even imagine having to go back and explain what happened, nor could I imagine being Lew and face family, friends, etc. I can see how something such as this could take a long time to do a book. That’s an enormous effort, not to be taken lightly.

I don’t know either of them, though I do remember seeing Kimberly on the evening news along with her brother Arch in the early 90’s.

To me Kimberly seems like a very bright energetic woman who I must say surprises me that she is still single. But healing takes time and easy that “once burned, twice shy” as they say. We all have our timeline. I do hope that she is open to meeting someone again. Even if for friendship/companionship. We al need that certain someone in our life.

By Observer

February 14, 2009 5:31 AM | Link to this

To “Someone who knows” and “SheCal”. You two sound like the same person. Probably some hurt guy who didn’t get his way.

By Jay Barber

February 15, 2009 10:49 AM | Link to this

Why does anyone on here have to be negative? She obviously has overcome a tragic event, and her story, while I haven’t read it, will no doubt resonate with many women out there experiencing the same. The detractors among you need only know that you needn’t buy, much less read (for those of you who even can read) the book if you don’t want to. As for those of us who can read, kudos to you, Kimberley, for having the fortitude to write such a book, and best wishes to you personally and for the book’s success….

By Atlanta native

February 17, 2009 12:26 AM | Link to this

I remember both Kimberley and her sister Kathleen being on local T.V. here for a number of years. Think the sister ended up on CNN. I’m looking forward to reading the book. If a guy is that close to walking down the aisle and backs out, he has a BIG problem and I’d say she was better off without him. Can’t believe she took him back for a while. She should have kicked his butt and I hope he paid for her expenses…..weddings don’t come cheap.

By John

February 19, 2009 3:00 PM | Link to this

Amazing, everybody has an opinion and nobody has read the book. Unlike most self absorbed celebrities the content acknowledges many people who have felt rejection and suddenly felt overwhelmed with what to do next, and don’t want a scolding from Dr Phil. Instead of busting a fast one to a buckhead bar to start fresh with someone, she actually spent time looking at herself and is trying to have a road map for other who feel rejection, whether it’s finding Mr Right or getting through a divorce. Where’s the crime in that?

She was too embarrassed and humiliated to deal with the rumors, buried herself in work,and had the class to never hire a pr person to spin the story. The gossip was spread by well meaning friends who probably didn’t know the story either.

Since neither Lew nor Kimberley ever married, maybe their plate is ful of things to consider. I just don’t understand the cynicism and digs at her. If she did something wrong then it sounds like she’s trying to help others now. Better than being anger, cynical and bitchy.

By Admit It

February 24, 2009 12:32 AM | Link to this

SheCal you are very observant. If Kim can lock in her current romance, she’ll use his money to give herself that needed make-over…since she did’nt get Lew’s fortune…

She may pursue her new victim’s money and believe he loves her, but he’ll always be in love with another…just like Lew…

Add gullible to that list.

Commenting is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. M-F